A Side-by-Side Comparison of the Best WordPress Job Board Themes of 2015
Regardless of the theme category, when it comes to WordPress, the number of choices can be overwhelming. We have tested all of the top-selling WordPress Job Board themes, and selected the top four for a side-by-side shootout.
Our criteria for this theme comparison is simple. Each theme must:
- Cost less than $59
- Have more than 800 confirmed downloads
- Have more than 50 customer ratings
- Have a buyer rating of over 4.0
These themes are all suitable for any employment-related site, whether you want to develop a freelancer website, advertise your own employment agency, or advertise vacant opportunities in your own company. While each theme has its own strengths, each one comes “out of the box” ready to get you started with a flexible, scalable job board site
This Jobify theme from Astoundify is the most popular of the group, with over 5200 downloads and counting. The theme is well-designed and fast, and installs quickly. Within 5 minutes, you are running and ready to start listing openings.
Once the theme is installed, you will be prompted to install three free plugins that are recommended (and free) to get maximum functionality. Testimonials by Woothemes manages your customer/client testimonials, and displays them via shortcode.
WP Job Manager adds the job board functionality (Jobify is designed around this plugin). Soliloquy Lite is an easy to use, performance-optimized slider with infinite options. I prefer the plugins not being integrated into the theme, as the plugins and content are portable should you ever decide to change themes.
The theme comes complete with dummy content, installed through the WordPress importer plugin. This gets you ready to go immediately, as you can simply edit the dummy content and start posting jobs. You have dummy content for the widgets as well, so you really have a complete site ready to go.
When setting up your job board site, Jobify uses an intuitive homepage designer with loads of modules to drag and drop to your needs. The modules include sliders, images, maps, featured listings and blog posts, plus many more. You can customize your colors, upload your company logo, and customize the header quickly and easily, and there are available third party plugins that will make the theme even more functional, as your business grows.
- Monetization – To monetize this theme, you need to purchase WC Paid Listings. With this plugin, you can charge both employers and job seekers, build one-time or recurring subscriptions or per-post, and charge both employers and seekers for featured listings of jobs and resumes.
- Client Access – All client access to the site (posting jobs and resumes) is completed through a front end gateway. No need for clients to access WP dashboard. (You will need the $39 Resume add-on to allow the posting of resumes, but it works very nicely.)
- Additional Recommended Premium Plugins – The Jobify theme uses a large amount of premium plugins on its demo site – all from WP Job Manager – Bookmarks, Apply with LinkedIn, Indeed Integration, Job Alerts, Resume Manager, WooCommerce Paid Listings, Applications and Tags.
Jobify is $58 – You can check out the other themes by Astoundify here.
The minimalist job board theme Nine to Five from Pixel_Press has been around longer than the rest, with plenty of regular updates and excellent code. Customization is effortless, with a huge number of options (over 50) for layout, color and functionality. Nine to Five displays perfectly across all platforms, just toggle on the responsive design option.
The theme supports multiple currencies, languages and payment options, as well as integrated Google maps.
While Nine to Five is not the flashiest of the themes compared, it does one job and does it very well. It is clean and fast, with powerful job board functionality supported by over five years of development and refinement.
Job applications are delivered to employers instantly, and the Google maps integration allows job seekers to search by area as well as job category. Though Nine to Five is the most affordable of the themes, it delivers complete job board functionality and great support.
- Monetization – This theme allows only for paid job listings from employers. Paid listings are via Paypal. There is no option for uploading resumes, or for charging job seekers. There is no option for subscriptions, and there are no featured listing upgrades.
- Client Access – All admin pages are accessed within the theme – login, signup, forgotten password and post a job pages.
- Additional Recommended Premium Plugins – There are no premium plugins required with this theme.
Nine to Five is $43 – Check out the other themes by Pixel Press here.
Wow. The more I use the WPJobus theme from ThemesDojo, the more impressed I am with the attention to detail and functionality. This is truly a three-in-one job board theme, that can be used as a job portal displaying jobs, resumes and companies, or as a personal resume theme, or alternatively as a company profile website. It is no wonder WPJobus won the Most Wanted best job board WordPress theme.
Visitors never have to visit the WordPress dashboard to enter or update content, with the easy WPJobus front end content submission portal. Login, create or update profiles, registration, it is all done from the website.
Essential pages such as About, Contact Us and Pricing are included as templates, saving you the hassle of designing each page from the start.
All of the work that would normally be done by third party plugins is included as part of the WPJobus functionality, and the premium LayerSlider is included at no extra charge, saving you around $15. There are 630 Google fonts and over 400 Fontawesome icons included, and this theme is multilanguage and retina ready.
This three in one theme is a great value, and one that we highly recommend for its flexibility and design.
- Monetization – This theme gives three revenue stream options – job listings, resume listings, and company profiles. Payment integration is with Stripe. You can customize your products and services, and highlight featured jobs, resumes and companies.
- Client Access – Clients access the site through front-end user interface, where they can upload resumes, company info or job listings.
- Additional Premium Plugins Recommended – None. All functionality is integrated with this theme.
WPJobus is $58 – See the complete list of themes by ThemeDojo here.
Jobera by theme developer Cohhe is powerful, feature-rich and elegant, and could be used equally as a job recruiter site, a job seeker site, or even as a corporate employment site for a medium to large company. Jobera is one of the most flexible of the themes we tested, and was designed to integrate with WP Job Manager.
Applicants and employers each get a designated portal to view and access the site through. When a job seeker applies for an opening, everything is accessed through the front end. Filling out the application, submitting resume and cover letter, all is accomplished through a slick front end portal. Applications are routed immediately to the prospective employer. Additionally, Jobera is the only theme that contains a dedicated recruiter role for headhunters and agents.
This theme is fully responsive and retina ready, and looked great on every device I tested it on. It has an easy to use page builder included, for drag and drop design, and the colors and home page variations are virtually unlimited.
All in all, a very nice, comprehensive theme for your job board website.
- Monetization – This theme uses paid plugin WC Paid Listings to monetize the theme. using this plugin, you can support paid listings for employers, job seekers, as well as recruiters. One-time listings as well as subscriptions are supported, as well as paid featured listings for each category.
- Client Access – All clients access the site through the front end, with each category getting a custom portal.
- Additional Premium Plugins Recommended – This theme needs WC Paid Listings or Restrict Content Pro for monetization of the site.
Jobera is $48 – Click here to view the complete Cohhe theme portfolio.
All things considered, I would be happy to use any of these premium job board themes. Though I started this comparison ready to choose the top seller, Jobify, as the winner, I have to say I was surprised. For flexibility, design, and price, Jobera wins hands down. The easy drag and drop front end page builder will please all of the WP first-timers, as well as experienced WP pros. WPJobus will be a good choice if you want a complete job site but don’t want to pay for additional premium plugins, and Nine to Five is definitely worth the price if you simply want a job listing board with no frills.
When choosing a theme, do keep in mind that many of the job board themes require some pricey premium plugins to perform and monetize the way you may want them to.
Don’t see what you are looking for here? you can check out another 23 premium job board and job portal themes here at Presscastle.
Do you have a job board theme you think should be included here? Disagree with my winner? Leave us a comment below!